St. Agnes Church was destroyed by fire in 1884. The present day church was built in 1891, an exact replica of the first one.
Algoma Dug-Out was originally known as the Algoma Packing Company. In the early 1990's the Van Camp Packing Company of Indiana owned the building. It now houses the American Legion and the Parks and Recreation area.
Algoma Pierhead Lighthouse. The earliest lighthouse was built in 1892. The upper portion of today's cylindrical tower was constructed in 1908 when the original lighthouse was remodeled. A very popular subject for photographers.
St. Mary's Catholic Church was organized by German and Bohemian immigrants in 1860. The present building was completed in 1906. The building, with its handsome steeple, prominently sited on a hill, can be seen for miles around and is listed on Lake Michigan navigational maps.
Art Dettmann Shanty was constructed in 1935. It represents the type of structures built be commercial fishermen in the 1920's and 1930's. The building is listed on the National Registry of Historic Places.
Ahnapee Brewery - Dr. Charles Stiehl restored the building in 1967 for use as a winery. The Von Stiehl Winery has been owned by the Schmiling family since 1981.
Ahnapee Manufacturing now known as the Netto Palazzo is a three-story structure built in 1891 as a furniture factory. From 1921 to 1980, the Algoma Net Company occupied the building producing fly nets for horses.
St. Paul's Lutheran Church was organized in 1863. The present church was built in 1896. The interior of the church retains the original altar, pulpit, and distinctive bentwood pews, all made locally by the Ahnapee Seating and Veneer Company. Also noteworthy are the Victorian stained glass windows.
Lidral and Andre Hardware served as a hardware store until 1920. Over the years it has been a plumbing shop, Western Auto store, a bank, floor covering shop, home decor store, auto parts shop, and computer store.
Wilbur Building was built in 1881. It served as a drug store until the 1950's; the second floor was a photo studio from 1891 to 1936. From the 50's to the 70's, Lindy's, an ice cream parlor, magazine and newspaper shop, operated here.
Reinhart Building was built in 1879. The Reinhart family operated a shoe store here until 1983.
Perry Building was built by Samuel Perry to house his general mercantile business in 1886. In 1990, it was renovated to serve as office space and renamed Richmond Center.
Bank of Algoma was completed in 1914. The Bank of Algoma merged with the Citizen's Bank in 1933. Algoma City Hall occupied the building from the mid-1930's until 1974. The upper floor was home to the Algoma Public Library from 1921 to 1974. The interior retains much of its original marble detailing.
Kohlbeck Building was constructed in 1884 to house the tailor shop established in 1876. The business remained in the Kohlbeck family for five generations, closing in 2001.
Hotel Stebbins was originally built in 1858 and was named the Ahnapee House. The name was changed to Hotel Stebbins in honor of DeWayne Stebbins, early pioneer and state senator.
Henry Baumann built the first modest frame false-front structure at 222 Steele Street in 1878. Since 1956, it has been the home of Harmann Studios.
Mathias Melchior Building. This attractive Queen Anne style building was constructed by Mathias Melchior in 1894. Since 1967, the corner shop has housed a florist business.
Busch and Cohn Building.was built in 1905 and has housed a furniture store, saloon, funeral parlor, music store, men's clothing shop, clinic, doctors' offices, and a church office over the years.
Wisconsin House - from the time of its construction in 1875 until 1905, it served as a hotel. For many years the main storefront housed a drugstore.
Kirchmann Hotel served as a hotel and boarding house until 1969.
Braun Implement - the Braun family, long-time owners of the property, operated a Case implement dealership for many years.
William Clark Residence - this brick Victorian Italianate-style house, distinctive for its bracketed eaves, round topped windows, and ornate bay window, was built in 1885.
Gerhart Building dates back to 1891 and 1905. It first served as a tavern and later as an implement shop, hardware store, photo shop, and antique shop.
M.W. Perry House was built in 1909. This house built by Melvin Perry was neglected for many years, but has been restored and now is a bed and breakfast.
Create your own unique website with customizable templates.